Established Alabama Estate Planning Attorney Helps You Prepare for the Future
Trusted firm advises clients in the Birmingham area on wills, trusts and conservatorships
No one knows what tomorrow may bring, but there are some inevitabilities for which you can prepare. You’ve worked too hard to risk your personal security or the legacy you leave, so it is wise to establish an estate plan you can count on no matter what comes your way. At Joseph C. Somma, PC, I help clients in the Birmingham area and throughout Alabama guard against the unpredictable and leave instructions they feel confident about. Whether your estate is substantial or modest, I can work with you to design an estate plan that fits your unique circumstances and addresses your concerns.
Skilled lawyer provides counsel for thorough estate plans
Establishing a well-thought-out estate plan allows you to provide protection for your property, finances and medical care. Your answers to these and other questions will inform your choices: Do you want to maximize giving to your heirs? Preserve a vacation home? Provide for a child with special needs? Appoint a decision-maker in case you become incapacitated? To address these concerns and others, you can rely on me to help with a comprehensive estate plan. I may provide legal assistance with the following:
- Will drafting, execution and review
- Living trusts
- Advance healthcare directives (living wills)
- Powers of attorney
- Estate and gift tax issues
- Guardianships and conservatorships
- Choosing the appropriate executor
Each person has different concerns and goals for the future. I work closely with you to determine your priorities and create precise instruments to carry out your intentions.
Thoughtful attorney handles wills, guardianships and powers of attorney
Estate plans can include instructions not only for distributing your property after you’ve passed but also for handling decisions in the event you can no longer make them for yourself. Though it may be difficult to think about your mortality, clear and thorough plans can remove the fear of uncertainty. I can help with:
- Wills — Your last will and testament provides the opportunity to distribute property, establish care for children and otherwise express your final wishes. A will is also the primary means by which you can leave property to a person or entity other than a blood relative.
- Trusts — Trusts are flexible instruments that allow you to put conditions on gifts and provide an allowance for a beneficiary rather than a lump sum. When you set up a living trust, for example, you can enjoy your property during your lifetime and transfer wealth seamlessly at your passing, helping your loved ones avoid probate.
- Advance directives — Advance directives allow you to clearly articulate your preferences for medical treatment and lifesaving interventions. They can set forth instructions on various matters, including who should serve as your healthcare proxy (or power of attorney) if you are incapacitated. Advance directives can also include DNR orders.
- Guardianships — If you have minor children, it’s important to plan for their care in the event you and their other parent pass away. While you can name a guardian in your will, the court will need to appoint them to serve in that capacity. Choosing a reliable, capable and trustworthy guardian can help ensure your children grow up feeling cared for and loved.
Knowing that you have planned for the long-term well-being and financial security of your loved ones can be comforting. At Joseph C. Somma, PC, I thoroughly analyze your estate and strategize the best means of transferring your assets, minimizing taxes, establishing guardianship and supporting philanthropic causes.
Contact a trusted Alabama estate planning law firm
All Practice Areas
What's Our Clients Say
Joe is a great lawyer. He is courteous and actually cares about your situation. He was not the cheapest lawyer I have ever used, but…
Joe Somma is a very caring, knowledgeable and professional lawyer. He helped my husband and I with a custody issue with our granddaughter. He was…
Best Lawyer in Birmingham
My husband and I retained this brilliant attorney after 5 lawyers that could not get the job done. His divorce decree was a total mess…
Mr. Somma has handled both Business and Personal Cases for myself, my family and my businesses. Always with the utmost of professionalism. All the cases…
I have worked with Joe for many years now and what was a scarey journey, has now become much less frightening knowing I have Joe…
Joe Somma is an excellent attorney and a class act. The world would be a better place if all attorneys and service providers were as…
Joseph represented me and my brother in our Father’s Estate procedures. It was an involved Estate case with real estate dealings , banking , family…
Joe Somma did an excellent job with a case that I was the defendant in. My case needed legal counsel due to false allegations that…
Joe is an excellent attorney. He has worked on several types of legal issues. I was very pleased with the outcome. I would highly recommend.