Compassionate Alabama Divorce Lawyer Provides Guidance and Advice
Reliable family law firm helps clients in the Birmingham area
The dissolution of a marriage is emotional and stressful, even when both partners agree that it’s the right decision. As a caring attorney at Joseph C. Somma, PC, I help ease the legal strain of divorce so you can concentrate on the health and well-being of your family. Representing divorcing spouses in the Birmingham area and throughout Alabama, I work to reach favorable arrangements for the care of your children and the division of your shared property. My knowledge of Alabama laws and practices enables me to provide advice on all aspects of divorce and to address any questions or concerns you may have so that you can have confidence moving forward.
Dedicated advocate strives for fair support and property arrangements
At Joseph C. Somma, PC, I will listen to your needs and consider your goals as I work to develop solutions for all aspects of your divorce. I handle matters of:
- Child custody and visitation — Court orders determine where your child will live, how parenting time will be split and to what degree each parent gets to make decisions about their child’s life.
- Child support — A number of factors are used to calculate child support payments, from each parent’s income to each child’s particular needs. I will seek an order that protects your child’s welfare.
- Distribution of property — The division of your home and other assets often depends on whether property is owned by a couple (“marital property”) or by just one spouse. I will press for a fair division.
- Division of marital debts — Both spouses may be accountable for debts accrued by the couple, or one partner may be found to be more responsible.
- Spousal support and temporary support — Whether you seek spousal support, also known as alimony, on a permanent or temporary basis or must pay it, I will seek a fair determination so that divorce doesn’t leave you financially strapped.
With commitment and conviction, my firm will seek fair arrangements on your behalf, always keeping in mind your best interests and those of your children.
Experienced family lawyer encourages cooperation and carefully handles litigation
Most couples will first try to settle their differences in mediation rather than opting to let a judge decide the terms of their divorce. Mediation gives you and your spouse the opportunity to work with a trained facilitator to negotiate settlements in an amicable setting that fosters cooperation between partners and usually produces less stress than litigation. Mediation often reduces the time and cost of divorce, but most importantly, it puts the decisions in your hands.
If litigation is necessary to reach just and equitable resolutions to alimony, custody and other matters, I am prepared to advocate on your behalf in pursuit of the most favorable outcome. Having a committed lawyer by your side can alleviate the uncertainty and stress of court and help you obtain a favorable trial outcome.
Contact a trusted Alabama divorce attorney
All Practice Areas
What's Our Clients Say
Joe is a great lawyer. He is courteous and actually cares about your situation. He was not the cheapest lawyer I have ever used, but…
Joe Somma is a very caring, knowledgeable and professional lawyer. He helped my husband and I with a custody issue with our granddaughter. He was…
Best Lawyer in Birmingham
My husband and I retained this brilliant attorney after 5 lawyers that could not get the job done. His divorce decree was a total mess…
Mr. Somma has handled both Business and Personal Cases for myself, my family and my businesses. Always with the utmost of professionalism. All the cases…
I have worked with Joe for many years now and what was a scarey journey, has now become much less frightening knowing I have Joe…
Joe Somma is an excellent attorney and a class act. The world would be a better place if all attorneys and service providers were as…
Joseph represented me and my brother in our Father’s Estate procedures. It was an involved Estate case with real estate dealings , banking , family…
Joe Somma did an excellent job with a case that I was the defendant in. My case needed legal counsel due to false allegations that…
Joe is an excellent attorney. He has worked on several types of legal issues. I was very pleased with the outcome. I would highly recommend.